Here are some AC maintenance tips to help keep your air conditioning unit running efficiently:
- Clean or Replace Air Filters: Clean or replace your air filters every 1-3 months depending on usage. Clogged filters can reduce airflow and cause your AC to work harder than it needs to.
- Clean the Coils: The evaporator and condenser coils should be cleaned at least once a year to remove dirt and debris that can accumulate on them over time. Dirty coils can reduce your AC’s efficiency and cause it to work harder than it needs to.
- Check the Drain Line: Make sure the drain line is clear of any obstructions, such as algae or debris, that can prevent water from draining properly. A clogged drain line can cause water damage to your home and damage your AC.
- Check the Refrigerant Levels: Low refrigerant levels can cause your AC to work harder than it needs to and may lead to costly repairs. Have a professional check the refrigerant levels and add more if needed.
- Inspect the Wiring: Check for any signs of damage or wear on the electrical wiring and connections. Faulty wiring can be dangerous and can cause your AC to malfunction.
- Keep the Unit Clear: Make sure there is no debris or objects around the outdoor unit that can obstruct airflow. Keep the unit clear of any bushes, grass, or debris.
- Schedule Annual Maintenance: Schedule an annual maintenance checkup with a professional HVAC technician to ensure your AC unit is running efficiently and to catch any potential issues before they become costly repairs.